Pages

October 9, 2010

Sully Kills Godsmack?

Sully with real life witch Laurie Cabot


On whether the release of his new solo album, "Avalon", means the Massachusetts hard rockers are teetering on the brink of a split..."I want to make this clear. I love GODSMACK. I am not trying to kill GODSMACK. I have no reason to do that. They're my brothers. It's a yin and a yang. You need to be mellow to want to be wild and when you're wild too long you need to be mellow. I need this (solo work) as much as I need GODSMACK."


On the musical direction of his solo effort:


"GODSMACK has taught me to open up and be vulnerable. With this record I really cracked myself open and poured it all out. I'm a fairly private person. But in music, I've learned this is who I am and this is what I do. People enjoy hearing me be this vulnerable. It helps them heal in their own ways.


"For me music has always been a healer. It's always been this therapeutic vehicle for me. I think what people appreciate is the honesty. I don't think I could be any more vulnerable than this."


On how his solo album has been received by GODSMACK fans:



"I knew there would be GODSMACK fans that would embrace this, but I also knew there would be GODSMACK fans who would be like, 'Why's he playing the piano? What the (expletive) is this?' But it was about something I had a calling to do. Even if it was the last thing I did. Love it or hate it, it's something that was a necessity."




On his bandmates' feelings about his solo album

"I do sense there's a little fear with them because they know I'm passionate and I'll do everything I can to break this (solo) thing and be successful. But I have no reason to kill GODSMACK. It's not about that. This is about me being a musician and an artist. It was really important for me to get this out."
On his nearly two-decade rock 'n' roll journey:

"It sure is fun to ride the road and see where it takes you. All the pit stops we make along the way are the things we'll take to our grave and will put a smile on my face when I finally close my eyes for the last time."


No comments:

Post a Comment